Trump’s Trashing of Tlaib & ‘The Squad’: A Giant Distraction Action
I n a tweet responding to an offer to rescind its ban on her entry into Israel so that she may visit her 90-something Palestinian grandmother, Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) has pointedly declined the apartheid state’s offer.
So sayeth Rep. Tlaib:
Silencing me & treating me like a criminal is not what she wants for me. It would kill a piece of me. I have decided that visiting my grandmother under these oppressive conditions stands against everything I believe in — fighting against racism, oppression & injustice.
When I won [election to Congress], it gave the Palestinian people hope that someone will finally speak the truth about the inhumane conditions. I can’t allow the State of Israel to take away that light by humiliating me & use my love for my sity to bow down to their oppressive & racist policies. https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1162333169846247425
Rep. Tlaib, of course, together with Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar, at the urging of Donald Trump and with the acquiescence of Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, had been banned from visiting that apartheid regime. Both were scheduled to participate in a Congressional junket to Israel during this Congress’ ill-timed summer “break.”
But in a pique of vengefulness, and in yet another demonstration of how remarkably thin-skinned this so-called “president” is, Trump will not, and apparently is psychologically incapable of, allowing any critique whatever of himself personally or of his regime’s so-called “policies.”
And that is Trump’s enduring attitude and approach to not just Reps. Tlaib and Omar, but to anyone who dares cross him about anything.
These two freshmen congresswomen are one-half of a self-described “Squad” of freshly minted Democratic Party congresswomen. The other half of The Squad consists of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Ayanna Pressley (D-MA). The Squad has, from their inauguration, called out Trump and his regime’s policies as racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, and anti-environmental. They have consistently, publicly, demanded Trump’s removal from office via the House of Representatives’ impeachment powers.
And so, given Trump’s feigned or real inability to understand why anyone just might not like him, who just might not love him, and who just might not worship him, is it any wonder that Omar and Tlaib have been singled out as personae non gratae in the apartheid state of Israel?
Oh, and also worth noting is the fact that these two are the very first female Muslims elected to Congress in US history. Their rebuke of Trump is also embedded within a scathing critique of Israeli government history and policy regarding Palestine and its people. These women do not hold their tongues or hide their hands as they unequivocally condemn both Israel’s damnable treatment of Palestinians and the US’ role as that apartheid nation-state’s chief supporter and enabler.
Of course, both Trump’s and Netanyahu’s stated — trumped-up — reason for denying them entry into that racially and religiously segregated country is these women’s vocal and material support for the Boycott, Divest and Sanctions Movement (BDS) against apartheid Israel. Indeed, Congress has recently passed a law and Trump has signed it, essentially outlawing any criticism whatsoever of the apartheid state. (Rep. Pressley, however, broke with her fellow Squad members, and voted with the majority of her party in support of this legislation). Not to be outdone, apartheid Israel has passed a similar law barring anyone from entry who supports BDS.
But now, as stated, apartheid Israel has deigned to rescind its ban against Rep. Tlaib “on humanitarian grounds” so that she may visit her aged grandmother. Israel has also tacked on a rather substantial condition that Rep. Tlaib must accept: She must agree to end her support for BDS before visiting grandma.
And, again, Rep. Tlaib has flatly refused and will instead personally boycott that apartheid country rather than play footsie with its now 71-year-long racist and reprehensible treatment of the Palestinian people, including her own family.
Trump’s Distraction Action
As a former “Reality TV Star,” and now as a real-life “president,” Trump has mastered the art of distraction to the point of…well…distraction.
His most recent and constant tweet-storms and base-appealing rallies against the Squad are obvious and clear attempts to deflect, re-direct and/or mis-direct attention from his mounting and soon-to-be insurmountable personal, professional and political problems.
- Although not yet in free-fall, the stock market has now begun crashing all around Trump, signaling the beginning of the end of his so-called “great” economy, an economy which he has steadfastly refused to acknowledge as having anything at all to do with, let alone one that he inherited from his predecessor, Barack Obama . What any honest economist will tell you is that we are witnessing, in real time, the onset of a Trump Recession, and very possibly, even likely, a depression.
- Trump’s poll numbers are likewise crashing as well. Suddenly, Trump’s polling numbers, ala’ Reality TV “ratings,’ are back down to his rock hard-“core” constituency of around forty-two percent.
- Former key sycophants and supporters have begun an ever-growing mad dash for the exits, much like proverbial rats escaping a sinking ship.
- Trump’s pedophiliac friend’s “suicide.” Jeffrey Epstein’s in-custody death is looking more and more suspicious with each passing day — not to mention the almost simultaneous release of a treasure trove of potentially Trump-embarrassing, if not Trump-incriminating, pictures, videos and documents depicting and illuminating his once joined-at-the-hip “relationship” with Epstein.
- The damn near unanimously bad press Trump received when he visited the victims of mass shootings just last week is still reverberating through both terrestrial media and cyberspace.
- The continued and escalating kidnapping, caging and raiding of Latin American immigrants, especially children. Internment into actual concentration camps of legal asylum seekers (and more and more naturalized, but too brown or too black, American citizens) has revealed in brilliant colors the real “rationale” underlying Trump’s so-called “immigration policy”: to keep America as “white” as possible — despite rapidly changing “demographics” — and for as long as possible.
- And, of course, several Congressional committees continue to investigate and explore virtually every aspect of Trump’s, personal, professional and political life — with a now openly stated goal of determining whether this man is impeachment-ready.
Finally, Trump’s tweeted suggestion, encouragement (order?) to apartheid Israel to deny entry to sitting US congresswomen is an impeachable offense in and of itself — especially considering that US taxpayers fork over several billions of dollars every year to that apartheid regime, not counting an equal or more amount in military hardware, which is then used to maintain and strengthen its oppressive apartheid system vis-a-vis the Palestinian people.